There’s always so much that I underline and take away from my readings. Chapter 1 of the Wellness Revelation was no exception!
I did this study in May this past spring into summer. When I went through it the first time, I underlined in green, and answered questions in the book. This time around, I will underline in purple and answer the questions in my notebook. It’s amazing the difference in underlining and answers each time you do a study! God always speaks in different ways!
The main things I took from the reading section of Chapter 1 were:
- In God’s wisdom and kindness, He wants to keep our hearts from bondage and destruction.
- He has given each of us a purpose, so that He can show us His power, and so that He will be glorified through us. (Exodus 9:16)
- We must give up our control, and allow Him to do the work through us. It’s not about us becoming more disciplined, or “doing” all the right things. We’ve tried that before.
- What we really want is love, to belong without the fear of rejection. We want meaning and purpose.
- We are planted and growing in His purpose, His power, and His strength. We cannot do His work in our own strength.
- We must surrender all of ourselves to Him, with a humble and softened heart.
- He desires for us to be holy – set apart from common use and dedicated to God – and whole – Christ in mind, Christ in heart, Christ in soul, and Christ in strength. When we are holy, we are whole.
- Through Christ, our broken, damaged, and impaired selves can be completely restored.
- We are His design, and as we search the Scriptures, we can discover more about what He was thinking as He designed us.
- How we care for the creation (ourselves), is a reflection of our Creator. It matters.
In the Respond section I noted Luke 14:26-30. When you start something, finish it!
In Your Action Plan, I think the parts that stuck out the most were that I realized the biggest obstacle that’s kept me from making positive health changes has been not believing I can actually reach my goals. It’s truly been a struggle in my mind. I must get in the right mindset, allow God to change my thoughts and renew my mind. I have to stop relying on myself, because I know I can’t do this without Christ working in me.
In the Renew section, the Lord really did some work!!! #4, referencing Leviticus 11:44, asked what keeps me from living a holy and whole life? I believe my negative thinking keeps me stuck, not believing in myself. And, then…..here’s the BIG ONE: Ultimately not believing God can do the work through me! This is satan keeping me in a stronghold, and believing the lies that I will fail again! Then, #5, referencing Proverbs 14:12, Where am I following a way that “appears to be right”? And, how might it be a stumbling block toward improving holiness and wholeness? This one really had me reflecting….I think I find it difficult to find a balance between good habits and doing these habits with a mindset of box checking, rather than a heart fully devoted to Christ and change. Doing great habits with the wrong mindset or in my own strength is a huge stumbling block because it makes me “appear” to be good, but inside I’m not. Woah….that was some hard truth. Then, #6, referencing Genesis 1:27, What does my image say about Him? Well, obviously, it ought to reflect Him. However, when I eat foods that don’t serve me or my body, I don’t feel like I’m reflecting Him at all. I feel my image says that my God can’t beat this stronghold. That was another tough truth to digest! Then, #7, referencing Ephesians 4:22-24, What hope does this passage give about how my life can be transformed in all areas, including my physical and spiritual health? The hope is knowing that I can put off or get rid of my past ways, my corrupt and messed up mind, and I can be made new in my mind, new in my body, an new in my spirit because Christ’s power lives in me!
In the Relate section, the parts that stuck out the most were #5, referencing Genesis 3:11, Who told you…..? This is where satan’s lies come into our minds. I wrote just a few down… Who told you you aren’t good enough? Who told you you’re a failure? Who told you you’ll never reach your weight loss goals? Satan likes to repeat these kinds of lies over and over in my mind to keep me stuck. Then, #6, we were to write down various lies that we have been living as truth. I wrote down several, just like the ones I wrote in #5. And, this is where some deeper work can be done! I HIGHLY encourage you to write down lies as they enter your mind, and then come up with a counter to those lies through Scriptures of truth. I have started doing this, and plan to keep doing it, even if I get a stack of 3×5 cards over an inch thick! This is the hard and heart work I need! I need to dispel the lies, and renew my mind with God’s truths! So, on one side of the card, you can write the lie, and on the other write a Scripture or two that dispels the lie with the truth of the Word. I’ll share a few I’ve started on. This will be a long process, but I hope to keep digging into this even if it takes me a year or more just working on one or two a week!
This week we will cover week 2! If you are doing this study with us, please join our Facebook group where we will all share what we are learning! I’m so excited to see what everyone is learning!